quarta-feira, 19 de agosto de 2009

First impressions



Fears and doubts discoveries



I arrived in Savona at november 16 2008 for the crossing to Brazil. It was an 18 days cruise, full of europeans. My work in the buffet was very calm, but still too many things to do. In the ship, they have a journal they call "Today", with informations about all the events and time for the meals and all the services on board, this way, the passangers don't need to keep asking all the time, averything to the employees.


A cruise have the days we go to a port and the navegation days. Some times, it takes more them one day to arrive from a port to another, so that's why we have the naegation day. When is port day, it's ok, because all the passangers goes out to visit the place and for the tours, some times they eat out side and spend a lot of time doing it. For the people who works in the ship this is very nice, thay don't have to many things to do, but in the navegation day, all the passangers are inside the ship and they eat all they long. It means more work to do. The animation and recreation knows exactly what I'm talking about. But the record is in the restaurants, specially in the buffet.


Of corse that the ship has many places to go. Cassino, theater, pools, gym, beauty saloom, spa, bars, shopping stores, and many activities the recreation prepares for the passangers, but everything happens in the buffet.


Depending on the area in the ship you work, you have more or less time to go out, but you never have one whole day off. You have break times. But even this way, is possible to go out. Some times, with two hours break you can do so many things that you would never imagine. You learn how to manage your time better.



My first time out of the ship, was theree or four days after I embarked, I was so confused because all the problems I had, that I didn't do my crew pass, witch is the employee ID on board, it is a magnetic card with all the crew informations.


Only after a few days on board, some one informed me that I had to have this card to go out and come back to the ship. I got out in Tenerife, but I didn't go to the city center, I was so afraid and insecure and I had nobady to go with me, that I just steped out and came back inside.


After this, I stared to go out in everyport, even if I had nobody to make company.

2 comentários:

Eli Carlos Vieira disse...

Hey, Bárbara!
I'm here to tell ya that I loved this place you had create!! I left a comment in your very first post (from where I started to read this blog). I hope to read all of contents 'cause it's going to be a special help for me, in my waiting for departure, on October 25th, on MSC Musica!
Now, I'll back to first posts and learn more about life on board, with your experiences!

Kisses from Praia Grande, São Paulo!
Success!!!!

Eli Carlos Vieira disse...

Here again, some minutes later, to say that I had just read all your blog!!
I tried to absorved all of experience you have here to pass forward!
And surely I'm going to indicate your blog for all people I know that are anxious like me, waiting or not, for the date of departure!

Kisses, 'til the next post!